Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Mrs. Dash Marinade Review + Easy Recipes!


Looking through my pantry this weekend, I found a couple of Mrs. Dash marinades that I had purchased with a coupon and promptly forgotten about. Apparently it's been a while because in looking at the website, I noticed that they have changed the packaging. I tried Garlic Lime (now called Lime Garlic for some reason) and Zesty Garlic Herb (now just called Garlic Herb). 

The ingredients list is filled with items that are food, not chemicals, that add up to 15 calories, 3g carbs and 1 g sugar per tbsp. A huge part of my turning Mediterranean is being conscious of what I put in my body. I try and stick to ingredients I recognize, can purchase separately, and can pronounce. I'm quite proud of this change as I rarely read ingredient lists before.

My old packaging instructed 10 minutes of marinating. So that is exactly what I did with a package of chicken tenderloins. And then I cooked them on a griddle. I plated up half of one Garlic Lime tenderloin and half of one Zesty Garlic Herb tenderloin with a few spoonfuls of griddle garden potatoes. 

My first thought upon on tasting the cooked chicken: this would be better if it marinated longer; not quite enough flavor. I guess I wasn't the only person thinking that - the new packaging instructs 30 minutes of marinating. Agreed, Mrs. Dash, agreed! I might purchase the Garlic Lime marinade again - it's nice and fresh and lightly lime. The other Garlic Herb didn't impress me much. 

I shredded all the remaining tenderloins and mixed the two flavors together. With a portion of the it, I made honey-mustard chicken salad and threw it on half of a whole grain sandwich round with spinach leaves for an almost but not quite Asian flavor. I used the last of the chicken on an easy cheesy pizza. Recipes below (we go through a lot of goat cheese and cilantro in the Turning Mediterranean household).

Griddle Garden Potatoes
4 fresh from the garden potatoes

EVOO
dash of sea salt
dash of pepper
dash of Slap Ya Mamma seasoning (or something else cajun)
tbsp dried rosemary

Cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Roll in EVOO, salt, pepper, seasoning and rosemary. Cook on heated griddle prepped with a thin layer of EVOO. 


Honey Mustard Chicken Salad
2 chicken tenderloins (that you marinated and precooked), shredded
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp raw organic honey, heated slightly
goat cheese, crumbled
cilantro

Mix all together. Done!


Chicken Pizza
premade whole wheat pizza crust

basil pesto 
4 chicken tenderloins (that you marinated and precooked), shredded
havarti with dill, grated
mozzarella, grated
goat cheese, crumbled
cilantro
cherry tomatoes, sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover crust with layer of pesto. Sprinkle with chicken, cheeses cilantro and tomatoes. Bake 10 minutes or until crust is at desired crispiness. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment