I believe I've already mentioned (500-ish times) that I like my weeknight recipes to be easy. Just like my men! Bazinga. Here's another that fits the bill. And if you think ahead, you can get multiple meals out it.
This may be my favorite recipe on the blog so far. It's eggy, a little spicy, fresh and comfortable. I want to put on a cable-knit sweater and eat this every day. I call it a singles egg bake because it is cooked in single-serving ramekins, but it also makes for a great single person meal. Leftover sauce can be saved in the fridge for a few days. When you're ready to eat it, break and bake, baby.
(makes 2 individual egg bakes)
1/8 cup finely chopped yellow onion
2 clove garlic, minced
3 large tomatoes, diced
sprinkle each of crushed red pepper, paprika, chili powder
1/2 tbsp fresh oregano
1 tbsp goat cheese (+ extra to top)
sprinkle of sea salt
sprinkle of black pepper
- Heat EVOO in sauce pan over med heat.
- Cook onion until translucent.
- Add garlic - cook for about one minute.
- Add diced tomatoes.
- Stir in crushed red pepper, paprika and chili powder. Cook about 10 min (until tomatoes are soft and sauce looks juicy), stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray individual ramekins with oil.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in oregano and goat cheese.
- Place 1/2 of sauce in each ramekin. Push a little dent in the middle with a spoon.
- Break one egg into the dent.
- Bake until white is cooked but yolk is runny (roughly 10 min).
- Allow dish to cool. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, scallion, cilantro and extra goat cheese.