Monday, April 15, 2013

Recipe: Healthy Chicken Casserole

Not really a looker but...

Y'all. This healthy chicken casserole doesn't taste a bit healthy. So garlic-y and flavorful and fulfilling. This is comfort food. Fried chicken strips who? 

Plus, after a bit of prep, you throw it in the oven and take care of business while it gets itself ready for your mouth. 

Gather:
3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, brought to room temp
basil pesto
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
almond flour
  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Saute chicken bites in olive oil and Italian seasoning until just beginning to brown on all sides. 
  • Combine Greek yogurt and chicken in small casserole dish and drizzle generously with pesto.
  • Sprinkle cheese over top.
  • Add a thin layer of almond flour.
  • Bake 30 minutes. 
  • Eat! Remember, 1/2 vege, 1/4 whole grain, 1/4 lean protein.

2 comments:

  1. Chicken and rice are so hard to photograph and look appealing it's stupid.

    But also, I loove the sounds of this recipe. I think I'm going to try it on my next 'Oh shit I forgot to make dinner' night, since the ingredients are something I usually have on hand.

    Nom.Nom.

    How's the Mediterranean diet thing working out in general for you? How often do you consciously 'do' mediterranean? Do you find it harder or easier to menu plan? Where do you get your recipe inspirations?

    These are questions the public desperately need the answers to!!!

    Also, I love your logo for this site :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I hire you to be my executive director of blogging ideas? I'll have to write posts on those topics, but, in a nutshell:

      I like the "diet". The food is good and easy to prepare. My body feels really good. My mind feels good about putting fewer chemicals and processed foods into my body. And I love that I basically skip the middle of the grocery store on shopping trips. I remain conscious of doing Mediterranean all the time (otherwise I'd only eat cupcakes) but it's less complicated than it sounds. I just make sure I have more vege than anything else, when I eat meat I make sure it's lean, when I eat bread I make sure it's whole grain, and I try to stay away from sugar (besides what is in fruit). Menu planning is pretty easy - it's almost always salad (because I find that to be the easiest way to consume veggies) + something. Sometimes it's just + fruit. Sometimes it's + chicken or seafood. Often my recipes are a result of wanting something that is full of carbs or calories or sugar and trying to find an alternative. I'm also addicted to food magazines and blogs (shout out to http://www.kaceyskitchen.com/).

      And thanks on the logo!

      Delete